Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church was officially organized on October 27th, 1907, at a meeting at Zion Lutheran Church on Wausau’s east side. An architect was hired shortly thereafter and groundbreaking ceremonies were held in April, 1908. Construction continued, with the help of many members, and the church building was dedicated November 1, 1908. Our first pastor, Rev. Destinon and our first teacher Mr. Edward Ritzmann were installed on that day, and school began in the church basement the very next day. Eighty-five students were enrolled.
Rev. E.H. Bertermann was called to serve Trinity on September 14, 1919. He would go on to serve as Trinity’s only pastor for 43 years and an additional 12 years as emeritus. During this period of time Trinity showed unprecedented growth to become one of the largest congregations in The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod.
In January, 1925, the congregation approved the building of a new school and the new building was dedicated on January 31, 1926.
As early as 1943, plans were underway for a mission congregation on the north side of Wausau. Groundbreaking for St. Mark’s Chapel took place in May of 1949. St. Mark’s Lutheran Church was officially organized in August of 1950, and the land and chapel were deeded over to the new congregation.
Due to the steady growth in worship, discussions about enlarging the church building began in 1952. Construction was approved in 1956 and on April 20, 1958 the new addition was dedicated.
In 1980 a recommendation was presented to the congregation to build a new parish center and school. Following a long bidding process, the final plans were presented to the congregation on March 28, 1983 and approved. Following the completion of the building, it was dedicated on January 29, 1984.
Space again became an issue for our church and school. In April of 1997 construction began on a $1.5 million addition that would add a new gymnasium, computer lab, six additional classrooms, youth room, extended childcare facility, and a Spiritual Life Center that would house our contemporary worship services. The new addition was dedicated on October 12, 1997.
In 2006, Trinity began offering daily childcare for children ages 2 to 5. Trinity Childcare opened with 6 children and 2 teachers and a second room was opened in 2007 for children 6 weeks to two years old. By 2008, Trinity was offering childcare for over 100 children ages 6 weeks to 5 years of age.
Today, Trinity Lutheran School is growing. The school participates in the Wisconsin Parental School Choice Program, which allows us to provide outreach to families in the Wausau area. We are rooted in Christ, providing a changeless Christ in an ever-changing world.
Through past and present, Trinity Lutheran Church and School continues a commitment to be a unified body of Christ, focusing on Sacrament, a steadfast study of God’s Word, discipleship and reconciliation.